School Council Awards
Welcome to our site dedicated to School Council awards for Primary Schools in Cornwall. Please register your school so that you can log your progress for an award.
PADL is a set of standards for primary and secondary school councils which guide and measure effective student voice, representation and leadership within schools. In order to gain a PADL award, trained young assessors interview staff and school council members using formulated questions appropriate to the level of award the school are applying for.
School councils/pupil parliaments can gain a PADL award for their work at Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum level.
The Cornwall Healthy Schools Team are delighted to have taken on the management of the Primary PADL awards!
We will be working in partnership with the Children, Schools and Families Team / Children's Trust at Cornwall Council to support schools' involvement in the awards and celebrate the wonderful work of Schools Councils in Cornwall.
We would welcome your thoughts and ideas about the awards and their future.
Secondary Schools who are interested in school council awards can contact Mary Ann Bloomfield at Cornwall Council for information.
You can use this section of our website to get up to date information on:
- our 5 minute guide to setting up and running a School Council (pdf document)
- More about the awards and the criteria at each level
- links to useful information and ideas to help your School Council grow and develop
- ideas and resources for work on active participation / UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
- on-line self-assessment recording tool
- school council forum
We have more awards and assessment days planned for 2014 around the county. In 2013 we we went on a trip to Berrycoombe School in Bodmin in March, St Erme with Trispen School in May and in November at Pondhu School. If you are interested in attending one of our assessment and awards days let us know:
Who you are
Which school you are from
Which level award you would like to aim for
How many children you would like to bring (maximum 4)
Some feedback we received from the day in Bodmin:
"It was interesting hearing how different schools run their councils. The children are now keen to 'jobshare' and have assistant Chair and secretary"
"The children really enjoyed the day, especially having visitors from other schools. It has given the school councillors a real boost and they are very keen to begin new projects."
School Council Workshop
We're really thrilled to announce that we are hosting another Smart School Council Masterclass session run by Involver, the award winning school council and student voice social enterprise.
This day is for Primary Schools and includes ideas and resources to help:
- Make school council meetings more action-focused.
- Run great school council elections
- Support your school council, and not lead it
- Help school councillors to represent their class, and take on certain roles
- Share ideas and good practice.
- Understand the latest research into student voice, from our recent project with the Children’s Commissioner
- Create a clear action plan for you when you get back to school.
At a previous masterclass we invited 11 pupils from Torpoint Nursery and Infant School school council along to tell the workshop delegates about the wonderful work that their school council does. They did a fantastic presentation and answered questions and generally had us all in the palms of their hands! They behaved so beautifully too! We just had to upload some photos for you to see.
We had some great feedback from teachers and Teaching Assistants who attended the training:
"Lots of great ideas - thank you!"
"Great practical ideas to take back to school"