Designed and produced by the British Heart Foundation
Active Club is a super resource intended for use with an extra-curricular club: it contains a wide variety of activities for a wide range of ages. Cornwall Healthy Schools is offering you training to help enhance confidence in promoting and delivering physical activity to children. For more details about the workshop dates we have coming up check our training pages.
Who can use the resource?
You don't need to be a teacher or a coach to run the club, so this training can benefit TAs and willing Governors. It's also ideal for lunchtime supervisors, who can use the activities to enhance activity at lunchtimes.
The potential outcomes:
Out of school care settings have an important role to play in encouraging more children and young people to be active. Developing a physical activity programme in an out of school club should provide children and young people with opportunities to:
- Be more active, whether that’s running about letting off steam, informal play, allowing them to practice their skills or something more structured
- Try out a wide range of activities that appeal to children across the age range
- Take part in competitive games or activity themed events
- Build links with community based organisations, e.g. sports clubs, to create opportunities for ongoing participation
- Mix with other children and young people
- ‘Have a go’ at doing something new
- Take responsibility in leading an activity/game or group of younger children
What to expect from our training:
We’ll discuss how to get the children in your school active and playing games together; at lunchtimes, wet break or in a breakfast or after school club. You even get chance to try some of the ideas out for yourself! Participants will receive the BHF Active Club resource FREE of charge, which contains over a hundred activity cards, templates and further ideas to enable you to run your own Active Club at school. By the end of the day you’ll be itching to put it all into practice! To find out when the next available training is or to book onto the training please visit our training page, and remember…don't forget your trainers.