SUGAR SMART is a nationwide campaign supported by Jamie Oliver and Sustain, which looks to optimise health by promoting healthy diet and reducing sugar consumption.
Cornwall is leading the way in becoming a SUGAR SMART county! It is already active in many areas including healthcare, tourism, retail, restaurants and catering outlets, and workplaces, and Cornwall Healthy Schools want to back Cornwall's SUGAR SMART campaign by supporting the education sector.
Why should we get smart about sugar?
- As a nation our consumption is excessive and this has been associated with poor physical, mental, and dental health including an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, stroke, inflammation, depression, and anxiety.
- Today’s children are the first generation in history predicted to live shorter lives than their parents and this is due to unhealthy lifestyles
- 1 in 4 children enter primary school overweight or obese
- 1 in 3 children enter secondary school overweight or obese
- Healthier children are happier and both of these are associated with better learning and educational attainment
How do we become SUGAR SMART in School?
It's easy to become SUGAR SMART in school and is a great first step towards improving food and the nutritional environment. Follow these five easy steps to being SUGAR SMART, and gain a certificate to mark your work and progress!
To apply for a SUGAR SMART certificate, please read the criteria, complete the evidence form, and submit to your Healthy Schools Advisor. If you are unsure of who your advisor is, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and one of the team will put you in touch.
SUGAR SMART in School awareness session
As part of the certificate and our food and nutrition support offer, we have developed a SUGAR SMART in School awareness session. This provides a short guide to the sweet stuff and lasts about 2 hours. In this session, we cover what sugar is and where it comes from, how sugar is used by the body, the physical, mental, and oral health implications of excess sugar consumption, nutritional label reading, and things to try in school. This session can be delivered as a twilight or part of an inset day, and can be adapted for delivery to parents.
As with all of our training, our SUGAR SMART support is completely FREE!
We at Cornwall Healthy Schools want to give children the best opportunity to achieve their optimum health, in both childhood and adulthood, which is why we are fully supportive of the nationwide SUGAR SMART campaign and of yours in your school! Please visit www.sugarsmartuk.org for more information and to register!
Contact your Healthy Schools Advisor and start becoming SUGAR SMART today!
Penryn Primary Academy took part in Fizz Free February in 2019 in a bid to reduce sugar intake from fizzy drinks - see their video below to find out how they did it!