SUGAR SMART is a nationwide campaign supported by Jamie Oliver and the Sustain Foundation, which looks to optimise health by promoting healthy diet and reducing sugar consumption.
Cornwall is leading the way in becoming a SUGAR SMART county! It is already active in many areas including healthcare, tourism, retail, restaurants and catering outlets, and workplaces, and Cornwall Healthy Schools want to back Cornwall's SUGAR SMART campaign by supporting schools on their quest to become SUGAR SMART!
SUGAR SMART in Schools
As part of our Food & Nutrition support, we can offer:
- a SUGAR SMART certificate - show the county that you are serious about sugar and get acknowledgement for your work following the 5 Steps to SUGAR SMART and achieve a certificate! This can be gained a standalone achievement or be used to work towards a Healthy Schools or Food in Schools award!
- a SUGAR SMART awareness session - a short guide to the sweet stuff and being SUGAR SMART at school. Lasting about 1 and a half hours, this session covers nutrition guidelines, nutritional label reading, the impact of sugar on health, and things to try in school to promote healthy diet and sugar reduction to the whole school community. This also includes suggestions of activities to try with pupils to increase sugar awareness. Can be adapted to be delivered to staff and parents and delivered in a twilight or part of an inset day.
As with all of our training, our SUGAR SMART support is completely FREE!
Why should we get smart about sugar?
- As a nation our consumption is excessive and this has been associated with poor physical, mental, and dental health including an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, stroke, inflammation, depression, and anxiety.
- Today’s children are the first generation in history predicted to live shorter lives than their parents and this is due to unhealthy lifestyles
- 1 in 4 children enter primary school overweight or obese
- 1 in 3 children enter secondary school overweight or obese
- Healthier children are happier and both of these are associated with better learning and educational attainment
We at Cornwall Healthy Schools want to give children the best opportunity to achieve their optimum health, in both their childhood and their adult years, which is why we are fully supportive of the nationwide SUGAR SMART campaign and of yours in your school!