Get Active With Your Family
Physical activity helps children develop and grow, maintain a healthy weight and discover the world around them. Best of all, it's great fun. All children should be physically active for at least one hour a day. You can help by encouraging your child to find activities they enjoy, and by building physical activity into family life. Most children love running around a park or playing in a playground.
You can find advice on eating well and getting active as a family at the Change4Life website.
Ten Activity Ideas for Children
1. Walk or cycle to and from school with the kids as often as possible. Read about the health benefits of cycling.
2. Build a den or treehouse with them in the school holidays. Or, under supervision, encourage them to climb a tree or two.
3. Go roller skating, roller blading or skateboarding, indoor or out. In winter, go ice skating. Kids also love scooters.
4. Do an activity challenge together, such as working towards a fun run or a walk for charity.
5. Take the dog for a walk. If you don’t have one of your own, ask to borrow a neighbour’s or friend’s dog and take it for a walk.
6. Support your children in sports, clubs or any other activities that may interest them. Joining a weekend club sport ensures commitment to a team and regular exercise. You'll find all kinds of fun activities in your area on the Get Active Cornwall website.
7. Find time every weekend to do something active with your children. Play frisbee or football in the park, go trampolining or try indoor rock climbing.
8. Fly a kite. The Kite Society of Great Britain's website lists a number of groups that regularly meet for special flying days with experienced members who offer advice and assistance. Some also run kite-making workshops.
9. Try a beach holiday. When they hit the sand, children find a multitude of ways to exercise, including games, swimming and plenty of running around. Or try an activity-based holiday. Read more about healthy and active holidays with children.
10. The National Parks website has lists of events such as guided walks and children’s fun days, for fresh ideas for active days out.